The Church Bells

The bells were added to and recast in 1768 to bear the strain of welcoming events and changing fortunes. The peals greeting the arrival of the fourth baronet and his new bride in 1769 were muffled in mourning three months later on the death of Lady Henrietta in July. The bells were increased to six, as No.5 bell states: 'We were recast at the expense of Sir Watkin Williams Wynn, Bart., 1768'. The founder was Thomas Rudhall of Gloucester .

Major work on the bells refurbishment and re-hanging in a new frame was undertaken in 1998 by John Taylor Bell Founders Ltd, Loughborough. The cost in the region of £50,000 was paid from funds from the 'Land Fill Tax', a scheme approved by En- trust and supported by Shanks & McEwan Ltd. 


 

Copyright St Mary's Church Ruabon