People Monuments Fittings and Furnishings Early History The Medieval Building The Reformation The Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries The South Chapel Restoration and Enrichment 1770 Nineteenth Century Radical Restoration Stained Glass Windows The Twentieth Century The Sharing of the Church Church and Community Hall New Church Roof 2010
Monuments and Memorials
The many monuments and memorials are from the eighteenth and nineteenth century .Here they are discussed in terms of family relationships etc., rather than location. On the whole they reflect the prosperity acquired through the rich deposits of coal, iron-stone and clay for brick making.
Ann Rowland (d. 1796), the wife of John Rowland of Plasbennion, built four almshouses at Nant y Gwalia. Their son, Edward Rowland (d.1815), of Gardden Lodge, was a successful iron master and coal owner. His son, Edward Lloyd Rowland (d.1828), was bankrupt in 1823 and his trustees sold the estate to the British Iron Co. Edward Lloyd (d. 1760) of Plas Madoc left to the poor of Ruabon £150 to be distributed in coals and schooling for three boys and two girls. His sister Elizabeth ( d.1758) married Jenkin Lloyd (d. 1760) of Clochfaen, Llangurig. Their daughter Sarah Youde (d.1837), heiress of Plas Madoc and Clochfaen, is remembered by the hatchment (a diamond-shaped frame painted black and enclosing the full armorial bearings of the deceased and it was usually hung outside the
Madoc property was mortgaged to George Hammond Whalley ( d.1878).
He was member of Parliament for Peterborough and a barrister. His support
of the Tichbourne claimant cost him a fortune. He took a great interest in
local affairs and was owner and founder of the Cefn and Rhosymedre Water Co.
The Lloyds of Penylan have their monuments, that to Ellis Lloyd (d.1712) is
possibly the work of Robert Wynne of Ruthin. He was chief inspector of the
public revenues in the Duchy of Cornwall, chief notary in the North Wales
Court of Sessions and Chancellor to the Bishop of Norwich. Edward Lloyd
Kenyon (d.1843) was the last of the line. Other memorials are to clergy of
Ruabon, Lewis Jones (d. 1770) and Evan Morgan Roderick (d. 1900). Another to
Charlotte Eva wife of Canon E. W. Edward, vicar (1862-1897). Randle Jones (d.
1754) was Recorder of the Lordship of Bromfield and Yale and agent to Sir
John Wynn and Sir Watkin Williams Wynn. Randle left fifty pounds for the
poor and for the education of two boys.
Copyright St Mary's Church Ruabon