People Monuments Fittings and Furnishings Early History The Medieval Building The Reformation The Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries The South Chapel Restoration and Enrichment 1770 Nineteenth Century Radical Restoration Stained Glass Windows The Twentieth Century The Sharing of the Church Church and Community Hall New Church Roof 2010
The parish chests once held the parish records and communion plate. They invariably had two or three locks -the Incumbent could not act without the churchwardens. There are two chests, one in the vestry is of wood, dated 1637, and bears the inscription:-
'Within this chest are writing layde,
In the south aisle the other chest may be seen; it is a strong magnificent
iron chest dated 1709 when David Lloyd and Robert Roberts were wardens. The
chest bears a strong resemblance to another made in 1738 which is now in St
Cathedral. Richard Davies Vicar of Ruabon, was a canon of St Asaph.
Copyright St Mary's Church Ruabon