People Monuments Fittings and Furnishings Early History The Medieval Building The Reformation The Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries The South Chapel Restoration and Enrichment 1770 Nineteenth Century Radical Restoration Stained Glass Windows The Twentieth Century The Sharing of the Church Church and Community Hall New Church Roof 2010
In January 1819 there was a fire in church which did considerable damage. Benjamin Gummow, Architect, was' authorized to manage the repair of the church', and Sir Watkin replaced the pulpit with one designed by Francis Smith for the chapel at Wynnstay in the mid-eighteenth century.
Standing on an hexagonal plinth, it is enriched with egg-and-dart and other
carving. The upper section has four complete sides decorated with acanthus
at the base and borders of the egg-and-tongue and floral carving round the
panels. The angels are ornamented with vigorously carved scrolls of Rococo
form, enriched with flowers.
Copyright St Mary's Church Ruabon